- Individual interactive reviews of MAINE CHANCE FARMS consignment for National Yearling Sales
- Interactive review of the MAINE CHANCE FARMS’ yearling consignment for the National Yearling Sales
- INDIVIDUAL UPDATED CATALOGUE PAGES
- MAINE CHANCE FARMS – National Yearling Sale consignment
- 29 February 2012 – Notes on the Maine Chance Farms’ yearlings consigned to Cape Premier Yearling Sale BOOK 2
The following link is to the interactive review of MAINE CHANCE FARMS’ yearling consignment for the Emperor’s Palace National Yearling Sales ……
For updated catalogue pages of the entire Maine Chance Farms’ yearling consignment for the upcoming National Yearling Sales, please click on the following link:
29 February 2012 – Notes on the Maine Chance Farms’ yearlings consigned to Cape Premier Yearling Sale BOOK 2
Herewith some notes on the Maine Chance Farms’ consignment for the Cape Premier Yearling Sale BOOK 2 – which takes place on Friday 2 March and Sunday 4 March: Updated catalogue pages for the Maine Chance consignment at the following link:
Lot 12 – GOLD BANK
by EYEOFTHETIGER (BRZ) – GRACE O’MALLEY by NORTHERN GUEST (USA)
- Magnificent colt, handsome and correct! A half-brother to three winners, he is by Champion 3yo EYEOFTHETIGER (BRZ) out of a half-sister to a G1 SW.
Lot 41 – JACKIE BLACK
by BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA) – JACARANDA GIRL by SILVANO (GER)
- Strongly built, short-legged, very racy filly who should come to hand early. She is by Champion and sire of Champions BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA) and is the first foal of a half-sister to SWs JACARANDA HOUSE and GINKGO.
Lot 43 – JAMBUNCIOUS
by BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA) – JAMELIA by WESTERN WINTER (USA)
- A very attractive filly with scope and good size, she is by Champion and sire of Champions BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA), and is the first foal of a half-sister to GSW PHILONIKON.
Lot 89 – LIME DANCE
by IMPERIAL STRIDE (GB) – LOVE DANCE by NATIONAL ASSEMBLY (USA)
- A neat, racy filly from the first crop of UK GSW IMPERIAL STRIDE (GB). Her dam is an unraced daughter of Champion 2yo Filly DANCING DANZIG.
Lot 101 – MANLY BEACH
by IMPERIAL STRIDE (GB) – MALATA BEACH by COUNT DUBOIS (GB)
- A big, correct colt with growth potential – he is from the first crop of UK GSW IMPERIAL STRIDE (GB) and is, interestingly, in-bred 3×3 to English and French G2 winner MADAME DUBOIS (GB).
Lot 134 – PAOLO
by CASEY TIBBS (IRE) – PAILITA (GER) by MONSUN (GER)
- A magnificent, big, scopy colt by successful sire CASEY TIBBS (IRE). His dam is an unraced daughter of ‘Chef de Race’ MONSUN (GER) and is a half-sister to Champion German 2yo Filly PAITA.
Lot 139 – PETTY OFFICER
by ROYAL AIR FORCE (SAf) – PETRIA by FORT WOOD (USA)
- A very big, plain-looking filly, she is from the first crop of JET MASTER’s GSW son ROYAL AIR FORCE and is, interestingly, inbred 2×4 to G1-placed and outstanding broodmare REGAL BLUE. Note that G2 winner HIDDEN BEAUTY is inbred to REGAL BLUE’s dam!
Lot 158 – PARISA
by CASEY TIBBS (IRE) – PRUSSIAN PRINCESS by GOLDEN THATCH (IRE)
- A beautiful, though smallish filly, balanced and racy. By successful sire CASEY TIBBS (IRE) she is from the immediate family of Champions IMPERIOUS SUE, VICTORY MOON and KELLY.
Lot 185 – SHINING SILVIA
by SILVANO (GER) – SCOUTING (USA) by WOODMAN (USA)
- Lovely filly, medium-sized, correct, walks well. By leading sire SILVANO (GER), out of a half-sister to US G1 winner DEVIL’S ORCHID (USA) and four other Stakes performers. Two Champions under granddam!
Lot 189 – SMART SET
by NATIONAL EMBLEM (SAf) – SET FOR SUMMER by COUNT DUBOIS (GB)
- Very attractive, big, strong and correct filly by leading sire NATIONAL EMBLEM out of a 5-time winning granddaughter of G1 performer PRINTEMP (ARG).
Lot 226 – SUGAREE
by RIGHT APPROACH (GB) – SWEET SUZY (GB) by GONE WEST (USA)
- A medium-sized, plain filly with excellent girth, this daughter of young sire RIGHT APPROACH (GB) is a granddaughter of multiple US G2 winner SWEET LUDY ((IRE).
Lot 259 – WESTERN RYDER
by MIESQUE’S APPROVAL (USA) – WESTWARDLY by SILVANO (GER)
- Attractive, quality filly by young sire MIESQUE’S APPROVAL (USA) out of a winning half-sister to Stakes-winning WEST COAST GOLD. Her third dam is Champion German 2yo Filly SHICKLAH (USA).
Lot 326 – CARELESS LOVE
by NATIONAL EMBLEM – CANTARI (IRE) by PRIOLO (USA)
- Most attractive filly by leading sire NATIONAL EMBLEM out of a daughter of Yorkshire Oaks-G1 winner KEY CHANGE (IRE). This filly carries no less than three lines of ‘Reine-de-Course’ GREY FLIGHT!
Lot 333 – CEDARBERG
by BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA) – CERET by SILVANO (GER)
- Smart, well-balanced colt. Being a first foal, he is somewhat small, but, with four lines of Northern Dancer ….. ! By Champion and sire of Champions BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA) from a family of Champions.
Lot 369 – DIOGENES
by BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA) – DOUBLE GRANGE (IRE) by DOUBLE SCHWARTZ (IRE)
- Racy colt and a good walker, he is a half-brother to Joint Top-Rated 3yo European Sprinter LINCOLN DANCER (IRE). By Champion and sire of Champions BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA) he comes from a strong ‘black type’ producing family.
Lot 389 – FALLING SKY
by ASHAAWES (USA) – FANCY DANCE by FORT WOOD (USA)
- Very nice colt by young sire ASHAAWES (USA) out of a winning half-sister to multiple SW and G1 placed FREQUENT FLYER.
Lot 396 – FIRE TREE
by SILVANO (GER) – FLOWERING PEACH (USA) by HORSE CHESTNUT (SAf)
- Superb, well-muscled colt who should come to hand early. By leading sire SILVANO (GER), his dam is inbred 4×3 to influential broodmare CHANGE WATER (USA).
Lot 403 – FORLAN
by JUDPOT (USA) – FOV’S FANCY by FOVEROS (GB)
- Strong, muscular colt from the first crop of regally-bred JUDPOT (USA). He is a half-brother to current multiple SW and G1-placed FREQUENT FLYER.
MAINE CHANCE FARMS – as agent:
Lot 74 – unnamed
by SEUL AMOUR (NZ) – LEGENDARY HERO by JUST THREE (GB)
- Big, strong filly from the first crop of ZABEEL’s SW son SEUL AMOUR (NZ). Dam is a 2 time-winner from the family of HORSE CHESTNUT (SAf).
Lot 146 – BRAVO MAYA
by REBEL KING (SAf) – PLISETSKAYA by WHISTLING WOOD (SAf)
- Beautiful filly with lots of scope – from the first crop of Champion Sprinter REBEL KING out of a two-time winning granddaughter of FORT WOOD (USA).
For updated catalogue pages for the Maine Chance Farms consignment to the Cape Premier Yearling Sale – BOOK 2 – to be held from 2nd to 4th March 20 – please click on the link below.
Over the next two weeks we will be commenting on the various yearlings being offered – which includes half-brothers to FREQUENT FLYER (G1 2nd in her last start) and LINCOLN DANCER (Joint Top Rated 3yo Sprinter in Europe in 2000).
31 January 2012 …… THE SALES … THE MET …. and the next draft of yearlings come into the stables for preparation.
Things slowly reverting to normal (whatever that might be!) on the farm following the hustle and bustle of ‘city life’ at last week’s Cape Premier Yearling Sale.
The venue for the sale, the Cape Town International Convention Centre is an incredible venue for such a sale – with top international hotels within walking distance – and, for those who would rather shop, the famed V&A Waterfront complex is just a short distance away – by foot, by car, or by water taxi down one of the canals that lead from the CTICC.
Selling started on Thursday and the farm got off to a good start when our colt AYRTON (Silvano [GER] – Another Legend [USA]) got the ball rolling when selling for R800,000 to World Wide Bloodstock.
Athough AYRTON was only Lot 10, three other SILVANO (GER) yearlings had been offered before him – the first two being fillies – which were bought by Maine Chance Farms’ principal, Andreas Jacobs. The first of the two fillies is a full-sister to G3 placed GALANTHUS and was bought for R200,000. The second filly, a granddaughter of the Champion Broodmare JESSAMINE, was purchased in partnership with Coolmore – with the hammer falling at R800,000.
SILVANO (GER) has been such a consistently good sire – both in South Africa and in Europe and, as such, his progeny were in huge demand – Angus Gold buying for Sheikh Hamdan’s Shadwell stables had to go to a R1,000,000 to secure Wilgerbosdrift Stud’s SILVANO colt, and he was underbidder to Markus Jooste on the Maine Chance Farms’ colt, Lot 136, a half-brother to Stakes Winner ILLUMIERE (AUS) – with the hammer falling at R1,500,000.
Maine Chance’s second stallion with progeny on the sale was BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA) who is going through a quiet spell at the moment – but there was still some good money for his progeny with a colt from Normandy Stud selling for R500,000, and a Highlands Farms’ filly going for R550,000
Inevitably there were a few ‘not sold’ yearlings in the draft – some, like the very attractive VAR (USA) colt – Lot 321 – whose dam is a winning full-sister to UAE Horse of the Year VICTORY MOON (SAf), surprisingly being amongst them! Not surprisingly though, there is strong post-sale interest in him and some of the others that did not make their reserve.
At the end of the sale, only four stallions had sired five or more yearlings to sell at R700,000 and above – Tripp(USA) and Western Winter (USA) had five each, whilst tying with EIGHT yearlings each in that high price range were Maine Chance’s SILVANO (GER), and Jet Master (SAf)!
Saturday was, of course ‘Met’ day – the Cape’s biggest and most glamorous racemeeting of the year. Three G1 races in all: Supporting the J&B Met-G1 was the Investec Cape Derby-G1 and the Majorca S.-G1 for fillies and mares.
In the Majorca S.-G1, Maine Chance owned and bred SILVANO (GER) filly FREQUENT FLYER (SAf), who was coming off a win in the Jamaica H.[L] two weeks earlier, ran a tremendous race, finishing 2nd, less than two lengths off the winner – Team Valor’s EBONY FLYER (SAf) who is likely U.S.bound. Some of the best fillies and mares in the country were behind FREQUENT FLYER (SAf) and she will be a valuable addistion to the Maine Chance broodmare band when she eventually retires to stud.
SILVANO’s son BRAVURA (SAf), carrying top weight of 60kg, did his best to thwart IGUGU (AUS), the reigning Horse of the Year, in the Met-G1 but she caught him in the final strides and his second placing, beaten less than half-a-length, to this amazing filly, gained him a huge amount of respect and once again underlined the ability that SILVANO (GER) has to sire horses of the highest calibre.
One the other side of the world, in California, BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA)’s daughter SHE’S CHEEKY (USA) ran third in the Santa Monica S.-G1 – bringing to three, the tally of G1 placings on Saturday for Maine Chance’s stallions.
On a sad note, Maine Chance Farms’ manager John Slade’s own yearling filly – the lovely JET MASTER filly out of MABOLA PLUM, and thus a half-sister to two GSWs, who had been withdrawn from the Cape sale the week before, broke her leg in a paddock accident over the weekend and had to be put down. The good news is that the mare has an outstanding colt by SILVANO (GER) at foot.
Yesterday the twenty three yearlings that are bound for the Cape Premier Yearling Sale – Book 2, at the beginning of March, came in to start their preparation. Over the next few days we will be writing about this draft which includes yearlings by SILVANO (GER), BLACK MINNALOUSHE (USA), NATIONAL EMBLEM (Saf), CASEY TIBBS (IRE), JUDPOT (USA), etc